David and John discuss the Valaquenta, Tolkien’s introduction to the pantheon of divine entities that rule his world. After a quick breakdown of which characters to pay attention to, David and John are joined by Tolkien Scholar Marilyn R. Pukkila to discuss the themes of this passage and the Silmarillion as a whole. Finally, they answer listener feedback.
Deep lore questions, comments and/or thoughts to share? Send us an email at email@example.com
Early and ad-free versions of all our podcasts are available on our Patreon at:
Silmarillion Stories Reading Schedule
- November 2022 – Ainulindalë
- December 2022 – Valaquenta
- January 2023 – Of the Beginning of Days
- February 2023 – Of the Coming of Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
- March 2023 – Of Thingol and Melian
- April 2023 – Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Edalië
- May 2023 – Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
Any opinions stated are ours personally and do not reflect the opinion of or belong to any employers or other entities.